Meet Deepak Anand
Deepak Anand was first elected as the Member of Provincial Parliament for Mississauga-Malton in 2018, through a grassroots, community-led campaign. He is an engineer by education, a businessman by profession, a community leader by passion, a long-time Mississauga resident, and above all, a proud father of two. With his wife Aruna by his side, together, they are a loving, happy, and community-oriented family.
If there is one thing to know about Deepak, it’s the size of his heart. He will always go above and beyond to help community members with their issues, regardless of the time of day or how many all-nighters he has had in the days prior.
His key policy priorities include youth employment and empowerment, food insecurity, reducing red tape, boosting foreign direct investment, and bridging the gap between the people and their elected officials.
His signature piece of legislation is Bill 231: Protecting Ontarians by Enhancing Gas Station Safety to Prevent Gas and Dash Act. This common-sense legislation will allow for mandatory prepayment for fuel at gas stations, in order to protect the safety of vulnerable gas station workers, innocent bystanders, and the community at large. The legislation is modelled after successes in curbing gas-and-dashes in other jurisdictions, including Alberta and BC.
Born in Patiala, Punjab, India to humble beginnings, Deepak immigrated to Canada back in 2000 with a degree in chemical engineering. His parents were a draftsman and a housewife, respectively, and his fondest memory is building castles and reading comics.
After receiving his Masters of Business Administration from the Schulich School of Business, Deepak worked for Morguard as a reporting analyst for five years. Deepak then became a small business owner, and became a vocal advocate in his community:
- Director for Telecare Brampton
- Director for the Indus Community Services, an immigrant settling service
- Director for the Canadian Federation of Truckers
- Co-Chair for the Malton Building Community Project
- Founder of Meaningful Media, an organization that focuses on highlighting different charities
- Producer and Host for Radio Saanjh, a radio show that discusses local issues and provides exposure to different local organizations that are working for the betterment of the community
Deepak got into politics to bring positive change, promising he would be Active, Inspired, and Motivated.