Landlord Tenant Resources

Solve A Disagreement With Your Landlord Or Tenant

The Residential Tenancies Act 2006 sets out landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities. It also sets out rules for landlords and tenants. It is an offence to break certain rules. If you have a dispute with your landlord or tenant related to the offences, you can work with the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit to solve the problem.

File A Complaint

The first step is to let your landlord or tenant know about your concern. We recommend writing a letter or email so that you can have records.

You should also:

  • Keep a copy of your written requests and any responses
  • Note how long it took your landlord or tenant to address your concerns
  • Check the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 to see if your concern is an offence

If you tried to contact your landlord or tenant and still can’t solve the problem, call the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing at:

  • 416-585-7214
  • Toll-free: 1-888-772-9277

You will need to give:

  • Your name and contact information — They do not take anonymous complaints
  • The name and contact information of the landlord or tenant you’re complaining about
  • Details of the complaint, for example, the date and what happened
  • Supporting documentation, for example, notice of entry or relevant emails

If the issue is an offence under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 we will:

  • Contact your landlord or tenant to try to resolve the issue with your consent
  • Send them a letter with details about the complaint and options to fix the problem
  • Follow up to see if the issue was resolved

If the issue is not resolved we may start a formal investigation. This may result in charges.

If charges are laid, the landlord or tenant must appear before a Justice of the Peace in the Ontario Court of Justice. You may have to attend court as a witness.

If convicted, the landlord or tenant will usually have to pay a fine.

To learn more about the fines or find more help: